Compassionate Canines of Central Oregon is the local Affiliate of Pet Partners®. Pet Partner’s Mission is to be “the leader in demonstrating and promoting positive human-animal interaction to improve the physical, emotional and psychological lives of those we serve.”
Pet Partners® Goals:
- Educate healthcare and other professionals on how to incorporate animals into goal-directed treatment or visiting animal activities to improve the lives of those they serve.
- Provide ‘gold standard’ therapy animal curriculum and training and inspire people to volunteer with their pets in their local communities.
- Empower individuals with disabilities to maximize their quality of life by providing service animal related information and resources.
- Advance knowledge about research which reflects how interactions with animals have a positive effect on human lives.
In support of Pet Parnters® mission and goals, Compassionate Canines of Central Oregon has activities in the following areas:
- Alzheimer Facility Visits – Visits to residents of Alterra and Aspen Ridge.
- Dog Tales – Children to read to Pet Partners at the Bend Library.
- St. Charles Medical Center – Pet Partners visit patients on Thursday evenings.
- Hospice – Several Pet Partners are active in visiting Hospice Facilities and patients. They also participate in special programs sponsored by Hospice Organizations.
- Reading Programs at Buckingham and Elk Meadow Elementary Schools.
Therapy Animal Teams, either individually or in groups, participate in many other community activities. In order to be a Pet Partner® Therapy Animal Team, you and your pet partner must successfully complete training and testing. If you are interested or want more information, contact information is:
Training provided locally
For training information, contact:
Mare Shey, CPDT
Dancin’ Woofs Compassionate Dog Training & Daycare
Email: Mare Shey